CLSA JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Events Associate
Job Level: Associate
Location: San Diego
Reports to: Associate Director, Programs
Hours: Full-time; Monday – Friday
FLSA Status: Exempt
Travel: Approximately 10% - 25%
About California Life Sciences Association (CLSA)
California Life Sciences Association (CLSA) is the state’s largest and most influential life sciences advocacy and business leadership organization. With offices in Sacramento, San Diego, South San Francisco, Los Angeles and Washington DC, CLSA works closely with industry, government, academia and others to shape public policy, improve access to innovative technologies and grow California’s life sciences economy. CLSA serves biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostics companies, research universities and institutes, investors and service providers throughout the Golden State. CLSA was founded in 2015 when the Bay Area Bioscience Association (BayBio) and the California Healthcare Institute (CHI) merged.
The Events Associate provides support in the planning, preparation and delivery of a wide range of events in California and nationwide. This position works closely with other members of the marketing and programs teams.
- Support the work of the Associate Director, Programs and execution of CLSA programs strategy through relevant research, generation of ideas, event planning and execution.
- Assist with planning and execution of all CLSA meeting logistics, including site evaluation and reservation, obtaining catering menus and placing orders, obtaining AV quotes, etc. to ensure that all event related production needs are executed in a timely manner.
- Manage registration processes for all CLSA events; create registration links, track and provide weekly registration & revenues reporting; ensure accurate and timely generation of name tags and attendee lists; on-site credit card processing and post-event attendance reporting.
- Communicate with the members and partners to assure smooth registration process. Interact with partner and sponsor organizations to ensure awareness and attendance of relevant CLSA events. Send confirmation e-mails and reminders to maximize attendance.
- Track and coordinate event calendar ensuring timely execution and avoidance of scheduling conflicts.
- Provide on-site meeting logistics when needed for local, statewide and national events, including catering, AV and on-site registrations.
- Request and track vendor invoices, request and track payments, track financial projections and performance against budget, make timely recommendations for corrective modifications.
- Represent CLSA during community projects and at public, social, and business gatherings
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applies policies and procedures to resolve issues.
- Works individually and on departmental projects.
- May participate in cross-functional committees
- Reports to a Manager, Associate Director or a Director, and provides regular status updates to them and relies on them for input.
- May be reviewed by, or mentored by a senior peer in the department.
- Builds internal and external relationships and supports culture through daily interactions.
Background and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required; degree in related major preferred.
- Minimum of 1 - 3 years’ professional level experience.
- Interest and experience in events planning and production.
- Ability to operate independently, professionalism and cool demeanor under pressure, ability to meet tight deadlines while maintaining high quality of work.
- Keen sense of customer service, ensuring superior member experience, whether over the phone, online or in person.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain up to date and accurate records. Attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to interact professionally with high-level executives.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as a team, and to meet personal and collective goals.
- Ability to work occasional late evenings, early mornings and weekends.
- Expert knowledge of MS Office applications with particular emphasis on Excel, experience with database management and event registration software preferred.
- Basic knowledge and ability to operate standard office equipment, including personal computer, scanner photocopier, and telephone system.
- Reliable personal transportation required for travel to sites in Southern California.
- Able to lift/handle up to 50lbs of event materials and equipment. Must be able to stand, talk, listen and respond for an extended period of time. In order to set up for events, must be able to push, grasp, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
CLSA currently offers a full suite of team member benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, LTD, STD and Group Life insurance, 401(k) plans with matching, FSA and HSA options, and a generous paid time off and paid holiday schedule.
California Life Sciences Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.